Monday, June 18, 2012

It's Crazy Talk

Am I a Grammar Nazi?  Though my students might say so, and perhaps The Lockport Union-Sun & Journal might say so, I'm not.  I don't stop people in regular conversation to point out grammar errors, nor do I always speak or write in perfect English, but I do notice when I find errors in print.  Student papers?  To be expected.  Professional newspapers?  All hail the Grammar Nazi!

Please read the headline from this June 14, 2012 article and tell me what's wrong.  I'll wait.


If you didn't barf a little in your mouth, you didn't notice.  Reread, and this time read out the contraction... there's the barf.

Now read the large text meant to highlight the article's great wisdom.  NOTE: this error is tougher to spot.

Did you notice comma splice making it a run-on sentence?  Though, after the super basic "it's" vs. "its" error in the title, I wouldn't expect them to find a comma splice.

What grammar error annoys you the most?  Have you actually found it in print?  I'll keep posting them!  Finding bad grammar in professional publications is becoming more a given than a hunt.  I'm scared.  Very, very scared.  It's...its...it's...its... er... It is not funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment